Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Man in Black (and white)

Walking the Fine Line between Clever and Stupid
By Jayson Harsin (copyright 2006)
From “the Man in Black,” 1971: Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,But is there because he's a victim of the times.I wear the black for those who never read,Or listened to the words that Jesus said,About the road to happiness through love and charity,Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.


Thumbs up and down. I was thoroughly entertained by Walk the Line, James Mangold’s attempt to be the first cinematic commentary on the recently deceased Johnny Cash. The acting and singing were superb. T. Bone Burnett’s musical production is often mesmerizing. But the narrative arc attracts criticism, particularly the reduction of Cash's life to a quest for June Carter and a kind of Oedipal Complex with his father....

Read on by clicking here.




No comments: